Tips for Proper eBike Tire Upkeep
- The tires on your eBike are vital for grip, stability, and efficient braking. Taking good care of them helps ensure your safety whenever you ride.
- Before every ride or weekly, check your tire pressure, look for cracks, cuts, bulges, or slow leaks, and assess any tire wear that has occurred.
- eBike tires have optimal air pressure levels printed on their sidewalls. Street-oriented eBikes are usually between 80-120 PSI, while eMTB tires are between 25-50 PSI—but it’s best to stick exactly to your manufacturer’s recommendations instead of guessing within these ranges.
- To preserve the condition of your tires, store your eBike away from sunlight, rotate the tires during long storage periods, and clean them using mild detergent to prevent debris buildup.
- While you can patch small punctures temporarily, you should replace tires that show consistent wear, frequent punctures, or visible damage. Michael Blast eBikes have a 1-year warranty on tires and our team can help you order new ones if you need them.
Maintaining your tires keeps every ride as smooth as your Michael Blast eBike looks, but that’s not all—proper tire upkeep also has a drastic impact on your two-wheeler’s longevity, performance, and safety. In this guide, our team gives you a list of tips you can use to keep your tires in terrific shape, from checking the pressure to recognizing when you’re due for replacement rubber.
Why Tire Upkeep Matters
Tires are the only point of contact your eBike has with the ground. They’re what let you grip the road and remain stable while you ride over various surfaces. Well-maintained tires also let you brake more efficiently, reducing the odds of an accident.
Your eBike Tire Checklist
Here’s a list of what to look at every time you check your tires. We recommend doing this before every ride—but if you can’t, at least run through these items quickly once per week to make sure your tires are still in shape.
- Tire Pressure: Proper inflation keeps your eBike’s handling responsive. Under-inflated tires can reduce battery efficiency, while over-inflation can make for a bumpier ride and increase the risk of punctures.
- Tire Integrity: Cracks, cuts, or bulges indicate sections of your tire that are weaker than the rest. Keep an eye on these areas if you find them, as they can lead to slow leaks or even blowouts if they continue to deteriorate.
- Slow Leaks and Punctures: A slow leak can develop as a result of the above, or it may occur if you run over an object (like a nail) that becomes embedded in the tire. Slow leaks aren’t always immediately noticeable—but you can identify them by spraying a bit of soapy water around suspected areas and seeing if bubbles form.
- Tire Wear: An evenly worn tire is usually a sign of proper alignment and inflation. On the other hand, excessive wear on one side or in the center can indicate that your bike needs service or your tires need to be replaced.
What Pressure Should Your Tires Be At?
Your eBike’s tires should have their recommended pressure (in PSI) printed on the sidewall. Most street-oriented eBike tires have an optimal pressure between 80-120 PSI, compared to 25-50 PSI for eMTB tires. Typically, tires meant for off-roading or trail riding are designed to have lower pressure, as this provides better grip on challenging surfaces.
Still, every set of eBike tires is different—and over- or under-filling by just a few PSI can severely impact the quality of your ride. Instead of guessing, just check the sidewall of your tires as soon as you purchase your eBike and follow the manufacturer’s guidelines.
How to Properly Store Your Tires
To prolong your eBike tires' life:
- Store the eBike in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. This helps the rubber in your tires maintain its elasticity and prevents it from being exposed to elements that could make it stiff.
- If storing for extended periods, consider hanging the bike or rotating the tires occasionally. This helps prevent flat spots from forming as the weight of the tire rests on a single area.
- Use a bike stand if available. This will reduce the overall pressure on the tires when you aren’t riding the bike.
How to Properly Clean Your Tires
Cleaning your eBike tires keeps dirt and debris from coating them over time. This helps prevent small objects from becoming lodged in the rubber where they could lead to punctures, and also improves handling. Follow these steps to keep your tires clean between rides:
- Use a hard-bristled brush to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Mix some mild detergent with water to create a cleaning solution.
- Gently scrub the tire surface with the solution, using a sponge or soft cloth.
- Rinse your tires off with clean water and wipe them dry before riding.
When to Replace Your Tires
Consistent wear, frequent punctures, or visible damage are all signals that it's time for new tires. If you often ride on challenging terrain, your tires may wear out faster. Always prioritize safety—if in doubt, take your bike in for service or contact Michael Blast to speak with one of our customer service representatives. We’ll be able to recommend next steps or help you order new tires if you need them.
Frequently Asked Questions about Michael Blast eBike Tires
When Should You Repair Your Tires?
Not every damaged tire needs to be replaced immediately. If you have a small puncture, you can probably use an over-the-counter patch kit to get back on the road. However, be advised that patch kits are usually considered temporary solutions (you’ll still want to replace the tire eventually).
On the other hand, sidewall bulges and bumps often indicate internal damage or a weak spot in the tire. It's best to consult a professional in such cases, as riding on tires with these problems can be dangerous.
Do Michael Blast eBikes have a warranty on tires?
Yes! All Michael Blast eBikes come with a 1-year warranty on parts, including tires. We also offer a 3-year warranty on all of our frames. Activate your warranty by registering your bike with us—just use the serial number located on the head tube or packaging.
Where can I find detailed specs and maintenance info about Michael Blast eBikes?
Download the manual for your eBike here. This includes information on the optimal pressure for the tires supplied with your eBike, along with instructions and maintenance for the other components.
What should I do if the tires on my Michael Blast eBike need service?
Bring your bike to the nearest Michael Blast dealer. The professionals there will know what kind of maintenance your tires require and will also be able to order replacements if necessary.